In this solo episode, Mark offers a perspective on bookstores, booksellers, and bookselling, and shares ideas on how authors can best get their books into bookstores.
Prior to the topic, Mark shares a personal update about the move back upstairs to his renovated office, discusses a comment on a previous episode, reminds listeners about the contest to win a print copy of Patrick O’Donnell’s book COPS AND WRITERS, and also thanks Patrons and talks about the patron perks.
Mark then shares a word from this episodes sponsor…
When discussing bookstores, Mark covers these topics:
- The importance of relationships and community
- Understanding the business side of print bookselling, including the margins
- How returns work and how that effects a bookseller’s willingness to stock books
- Doing book launches and signings for different bookstores at different times of the day and seasons
- How Mark got chain bookstores to order his self-published book (and how that partially backfired)
- How bookstores order books VS how consignment works
- The rules, and why bookstores might sometimes make exceptions to those rules in particular situations
- The origin of the Stark Publishing brand
- Why Mark tied an onion to his belt back in the day
- 7 things to consider when working with bookstores and trying to get your books into bookstores
- And more
Links of Interest: