In this episode Mark interviews urban fantasy author and podcaster HB Lyne about her fiction, her forthcoming title GOAL SETTING FOR WRITERS, and more.
Prior to the interview, Mark shares comments from recent episodes, a personal update and a word from this episode’s sponsor
This episode is sponsored by Findaway Voices.
You can learn more about how you can get your work distributed to retailers and library systems around the world at starkreflections.ca/Findaway.
In the interview Holly and Mark talk about:
- When and how Holly got into writing in the first place – writing since she could hold a pen
- Making up stories that her young friend would illustrate
- Writing screenplays and theatre when when was a teenager, and going off to University with a goal to write and direct movies
- Writing her first book and how she wanted to share it straight away, and didn’t want to wait and go through all the hoops, bells, and whistles of traditional publishing
- Holly’s first series, with four books, and why had to plan on rebranding, despite having had paid for beautiful covers for the first set, as well as brilliantly conceived titles
- The rebranding of the series name, the titles, and the covers and what Holly’s plan is (rapid release of the three books, then the new fourth book in the fall of 2020)
- Holly’s first non-fiction book, Goal Setting for Writers, which is coming on July 31, 2020
- The mind-set shift required to move from writing fiction to non-fiction
- How Holly does all of her planning doing the bullet journal system
- How, when we write by hand, we retain much more than when we are typing
- The challenge of imposter syndrome
- The Unstoppable Authors Podcast that Holly co-hosts with Angeline Trevena
- And more . . .
After the interview Mark shares a reflection on Holly’s rebranding as well as his own recent decision to rebrand a series in the same genre.
He also shares a chance for listeners to win a copy of Holly’s book on goal setting for writers by leaving a comment on this episode by EOD July 31, 2020.
Patrons are also automatically entered for their own chance to win another copy of the book.
Links of Interest:
- HB Lyne’s Website
- Unstoppable Authors Podcast
- Episode 142 – Strategies for Launching a Book During a Pandemic with Suzy Vadori
- Episode 139 – Dreaming, Singing, and Moving People with Ashley Joanisse
- Findaway Voices
- Patreon for Stark Reflections
H.B. Lyne lives in Yorkshire, UK, with her husband, two children and cat. When not juggling family commitments, she writes dark urban fantasy novels, purging her imagination of its demons. Inspired by the King of Horror himself, Holly aspires to be at least half as prolific and successful and promises to limit herself to only one tome of The Stand-like proportions in her career. Holly is a proud geek, podcaster and bullet journal enthusiast with a knack for organization and getting stuff done.