Mark interviews Matty Dalrymple about her new book THE INDY AUTHOR’S GUIDE TO PODCASTING FOR AUTHORS.
Prior to the interview, Mark shares a brief personal update and a word about this episode’s sponsor.
This episode has been sponsored by Findaway Voices.
You can learn more about how you can get your work distributed to retailers and library systems around the world at starkreflections.ca/Findaway.
In their conversation Mark and Matty talk about:
- Matty’s celebration of the 100th episode of her podcast and the ongoing celebratory series of 7 episodes featuring Orna Ross
- The workshop that Matty and Mark collaborated on for the 2021 Alliance of Independent Authors Self Publishing Conference talking about the craft of writing short fiction
- The drabble writing assignment that Matty and Mark offer as part of their workshop. (A drabble is a short story that is exactly 100 words)
- Matty’s new book The Indy Author’s Guide to Podcasting for Authors that includes podcasting itself as well as being a good podcast guest
- The downloadable Captain’s Log resource that Matty has made available
- Matty turns the table and asked Mark why he started the Stark Reflections Podcast
- Matty’s thoughts on whether or not a podcast is going to help an author sell books, as well as her own experience as both a podcast host and a podcast guest
- The concept of how a podcast guest might be temporarily bringing their own fans as listeners to someone else’s podcast
- Leveraging a podcast as a way to connect with people that you’re interested in connecting with and learning from
- Some of the technology, software, and assets required to record, produce, and distribute a podcast
- The amount of time that it takes Matty per week for her podcast
- Struggling with transcription and using Descript for that
- How the transcript for a podcast episode serves a particular portion of the audience
- Use of feature affiliates, Patreon and “Buy me a Coffee” for The Indy Author podcast
- And more…
After the interview, Mark reflects on consistency in author branding, intrinsic motivation, and thinking long term.
Links of Interest:
- Matty’s Websites:
- Findaway Voices
- SelfPubCon 2021: The Writing Craft Conference (ALLI) – The Craft of Writing Short Books
- The 2021 NaNoWriMo Writing Tools Storybundle
- Patreon for Stark Reflections
- Buy Mark a Coffee
- The Relaxed Author
- Publishing Pitfalls for Authors
- An Author’s Guide to Working with Libraries & Bookstores
- Wide for the Win
- Mark’s Canadian Werewolf Books
Matty Dalrymple podcasts, writes, and speaks on the writing craft and the publishing voyage as The Indy Author. She is the host of THE INDY AUTHOR PODCAST and the author of THE INDY AUTHOR’S GUIDE TO PODCASTING FOR AUTHORS. She is also the co-author, along with Mark Leslie Lefebvre, of TAKING THE SHORT TACK: CREATING INCOME AND CONNECTING WITH READERS USING SHORT FICTION. Matty is a member of the Alliance of Independent Authors. You can connect with The Indy Author via Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube.
Matty is also the author of the Lizzy Ballard Thrillers ROCK PAPER SCISSORS, SNAKES AND LADDERS, and THE IRON RING; the Ann Kinnear Suspense Novels THE SENSE OF DEATH, THE SENSE OF RECKONING, THE FALCON AND THE OWL, and A FURNACE FOR YOUR FOE; and the Ann Kinnear Suspense Shorts, including CLOSE THESE EYES and WRITE IN WATER. Matty is a member of Sisters in Crime and the Brandywine Valley Writers Group. You can connect with Matty via Facebook and Twitter.
Matty lives with her husband and three dogs in Chester County, Pennsylvania.