Mark interviews Lizbeth Meredith an award-winning author, speaker, and online teacher living in Chattanooga, Tennessee. Her memoir Pieces of Me has been adapted as Stolen By Their Father for Lifetime Television and was released earlier this year.
Prior to the interview, Mark thanks his patrons, talks about a cool Kickstarter that one of his patrons, Holger Nils Pohl is running, and shares a word about this episode’s sponsor.
You can learn more about how you can get your work distributed to retailers and library systems around the world at starkreflections.ca/Findaway.
During their chat, Mark and Lizbeth talk about:
- Lizbeth’s earliest melodramatic poetry writing when she was young
- Why and how the writing helped when she started to think of her life as a story
- Realizing how Lizbeth’s PIECES OF ME is just one of an endless number of stories of survival and resilience
- Her story of looking over two years of her children being abducted and taken away by their non-custodial father
- The importance of community for writers as well as for people in general
- Being told, when sharing her first draft “You know, this doesn’t HAVE to be published”
- Positive feedback from agents who loved her manuscript but would be unable to take it on
- Deciding to publish with a hybrid publisher (a publisher that charges authors for all the publishing costs)
- Learning about writers grants to be able to take advantage of and applying for them
- How applying for a grant helps a writer learn how to pitch
- Having her book optioned by Canadian company Cineflex
- The lengthy timelines that it took in order to get the option in place
- The movie name being re-adapted from the book title to “Stolen by Their Father”
- The release date of the 2022 movie lining up with the anniversary of the date Lizbeth left her husband
- Some of the other writing projects Lizbeth is working on
- Lizbeth’s podcast, Persistence U with Lizbeth
- Advice Lizbeth would offer to her younger self or beginning writers
- And more…
After the interview, Mark reflects on Lizbeth’s business decision on how she would publish, recognizing the skills she already had with skills from the hybrid publisher she chose. He also reflects on her pointing out the value of community.
Links of Interest:
- Lizbeth’s Website
- Lizbeth’s Podcast
- IMDB Listing for Stolen by Their Father
- Lizbeth’s Interview of Best Book Ever Podcast
- Findaway Voices
- Holger Nils Pohl’s Kickstarter: Creating Clarity
- Buy Mark a Coffee
- Patreon for Stark Reflections
- Best Book Ever Podcast
- Lovers Moon Podcast
- The Relaxed Author
- Publishing Pitfalls for Authors
- An Author’s Guide to Working with Libraries & Bookstores
- Wide for the Win
- Mark’s Canadian Werewolf Books
Lizbeth Meredith is an author living in Chattanooga, Tennessee after more than 5 decades in Alaska. Her memoir, Pieces of Me: Rescuing My Kidnapped Daughters, has been adapted as Stolen By Their Father for Lifetime Television.
Lizbeth is a speaker and online teacher who enjoys coaching and consulting part-time, a fun addition after three-decades career serving crime victims and offenders. In her off- time, Lizbeth enjoys movies at the theater, talking with podcast guests at Persistence U with Lizbeth, and Facetime chats with her adult daughters and grand-pets.