Mark interviews Johnny B. Truant, the author of the Fat Vampire novels adapted by SyFy as “Reginald the Vampire” starring Spider-Man’s Jacob Batalon.
Prior to the interview, Mark shares a word about this episode’s sponsor.
You can learn more about how you can get your audiobooks distributed to retailers and library systems around the world at starkreflections.ca/Findaway.
During the interview Mark and Johnny talk about:
- How Mark and Johnny have known one another for more than 10 years
- Young Johnny who had always wanted to be a writer and convinced his high school newspaper to allow him to write a column for them
- Orbiting the same circles as Sean Platt and how the two met via working via places like Copyblogger and the Blog World Conference
- How The Self Publishing Podcast came from Johnny wanting to interview (and talk and learn from) Sean Platt and David Wright about the co-authoring and self-publishing they were doing
- Where the spark for the idea of “Fat Vampire” came from (the old “after-show” podcast they did called “Better Off Undead” for horror fans
- Johnny wanting to explore the “sameness taken to the extreme” in Reginald, the fat vampire
- How not being exclusive to Amazon actually led to Johnny selling the option and license for FAT VAMPIRE to become the TV show “Reginald the Vampire”
- The expression “enthusiasm is free”
- What it was like watching the TV show “Reginald the Vampire” based on Johnny’s novels
- Prepping for releasing a companion podcast to the TV series
- Spending three days on the set of the recording of the television program
- Johnny’s views on the power of story and how they can help break through those psychological walls and the blocks that someone might put up to a different perspective by introducing readers to a “maybe they’re just like me” train of thought
- And more…
After the interview Mark reflects on the importance of storytelling in creating connections between people and empathy, sharing a few quotes from an articile in Discovery magazine, as well as the reality of when an author’s work is adapated for media.
Links of Interest:
- Johnny B. Truant’s Website
- Sterling and Stone Website
- Discover Magazine Article: How Reading Fiction Increases Empathy…
- Findaway Voices
- Buy Mark a Coffee
- Patreon for Stark Reflections
- Best Book Ever Podcast
- Lovers Moon Podcast
- The Relaxed Author
- Publishing Pitfalls for Authors
- An Author’s Guide to Working with Libraries & Bookstores
- Wide for the Win
- Mark’s Canadian Werewolf Books
- The Canadian Mounted: A Trivia Guide to Planes, Trains and Automobiles
Johnny B. Truant is the bestselling author of Fat Vampire, adapted by SyFy as “Reginald the Vampire” starring Spider-Man’s Jacob Batalon. His other books include Pretty Killer, Pattern Black, Invasion, The Beam, Dead City, and over 100 other titles across many genres.