Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Subscribe: Apple Podcasts | RSS
Mark interviews Joshua Pantalleresco, the host of Just Joshing, an Aurora Award Winning podcast that features Joshua interviewing authors and other creatives and business people about life, the universe, and everything.
Prior to the main content, Mark shares comments from recent episodes, shares a personal update, welcomes a new patron (Connor Whiteley) and a word from this episode’s sponsor.
This episode is sponsored by:
You can learn more about how you can get your work distributed to retailers and library systems around the world at starkreflections.ca/Findaway.
In their conversation, Mark and Joshua talk about:
- How Joshua could sum up his career as one great big accident
- The books and authors Joshua loved reading, and the novel he wrote when still in high school
- Josh’s start interviewing people for a comic book website
- How working for one of his heroes led to a great moment of trial and tribulation for Joshua
- How a miscommunication about an interview Josh did with Robert J. Sawyer led to his recent podcast
- The fact that chocolate chip cookies were initially an accident – and look how they turned out
- How creating and sharing actually helps others to keep creating and sharing themselves
- How staring down the Grim Reaper can humble a person in a very real way
- The strength that it takes to be open and vulnerable
- A few things that Joshua is afraid of and something he is trying out that he has always wanted to do
- What makes Joshua ruthless and brutally honest
- Reflections on the bad experience he’d had with a hero of his that he worked with
- Perspectives on optimism, realism and cynicism
After the conversation, Mark reflects on the benefits that come with being willing to take a risk.
Links of Interest:
- Joshua Pantalleresco’s Website
- Mark’s NaNoWriMo Profile
- Episode 161 – NaNo No-No’s
- Episode 160 – Growing, Experimenting, and Collaborations with Mark Dawson
- Kobo Writing Life NaNoWriMo Promo (use coupon code NANO2020)
- Mark’s Canadian Werewolf Series
- This Time Around (Book 0)
- A Canadian Werewolf in New York (Book 1)
- Stowe Away (Book 1.5)
- Fear and Longing in Los Angeles (Book 2)
- Findaway Voices
- Wide for the Win Submission Form
- Patreon for Stark Reflections
Joshua Pantalleresco is a writer, poet, podcaster and freelancer. His Podcast Just Joshing is a three time Aurora Award Winning Finalist and one time winner.
The introductory, end, and bumper music for this podcast (“Laser Groove”) was composed and produced by Kevin MacLeod of www.incompetech.com and is Licensed under Creative Commons: By Attribution 3.0
4 thoughts on “Episode 162 – Happy Accidents with Joshua Pantalleresco”
Great episode. I like Joshua’s attitude.
The two that stuck out for me in this reflection were:
“What is the bravest thing you can do in this situation” It is easy to pick the easy route.
“Life goes on…Life just always goes on” In this case no matter what you pick life is going to go on. So picking the harder choice is the one that will get you farther along.
I know I’m about a million years late (well several weeks, anyway) in responding to this podcast, but I thought that Josh got at a really important point; no matter how savvy, and smart, and driven to succeed an author is, in the end what any of us is trying to do is cope with what happens when the painted veil of life lifts (Percy Shelley’s image, not mine), and we have to look beyond illusion. Thanks, Josh, for raising that, and thanks Mark for introducing me to his work.