In this episode Mark interviews #1 bestselling author and founder of Book Launchers, Julie Broad.
This episode is sponsored by Findaway Voices.
You can learn more about how you can get your work distributed to retailers and library systems around the world at starkreflections.ca/Findaway.
Prior to the main content, Mark shares comments from recent episodes, a personal upon, an opportunity for listeners to win one of three spots in a full day author boot camp workshop taking place in mid August 2021, and a new opportunity for listeners to win a 1:1 Story Stuck consultation with editor Clark Chamberlain.
In their conversation, Mark and Julie talk about:
- The non-straight-line journey that Julie took to get to her current career in helping authors (which involved real estate, properties, and that world)
- Being approached by published in 2011 for some book ideas, and the back-and-forth of a book proposal done collaboratively by a major publisher that changed their course/plan at the last minute
- How Julie’s crushed-ego from that rejected led to her self-publishing the book and shepherding the book (More Than Cash Flow) to #1 for over a month
- The nightmarish horror stories that helped Julie’s real estate book sell really well
- The passion to help authors that drives Julie and is evident in her dynamic Book Launchers videos
- How Book Launchers has learned that, once an author is past a certain point in developing their manuscript, it might be too late for effectively building those marketing efforts in early
- Some of the common mistakes authors make such as an ineffective title, and even the TOC and chapter titles
- How the chapter title “You are Who Google Says You Are” in her book “New Brand You”
- The reality that Book Launchers only works with about 10% of the people who approach them – because they want to ensure they can truly help the clients they take on
- The behind-the-scenes of the Book Launchers videos, including about five hours of research and writing that goes into the videos before they even begin to shoot
- The critical importance of those core supporters and the people who regularly interact and comment
- Being recognized in public because of the popularity and value of her YouTube channel
- Some of the things that authors should look out for when it comes to service providers in the self-publishing space
- How asking for and getting reviews is one of the most important aspects of the business of writing
- Some of the industry trends that Julie is tracking and paying attention to
- And more…
After the interview Mark reflects on a couple of things that the conversation made him think about.
Links of Interest:
- Booklaunchers.tv (YouTube Channel)
- Booklaunchers.com (Main Website)
- EP 29 – Terry Fallis on Writing with Authenticity, Humor, and Passion
- EP 200 – Alas, Dear Author, I Reflected for 200 Episodes
- EP 197 – Rambling Reflections Through the Darkness Within
- Mark’s TikTok #DuetMe Request (Planes, Trains and Automobiles)
- Mark’s YouTube Video of “You Play with Your Balls a Lot” Scene from Planes, Trains and Automobiles)
- Bibliofic Designs
- The Relaxed Author
- Patreon for Stark Reflections
- Wide for the Win
- Mark’s Canadian Werewolf Books
Julie Broad, founder of self-publishing services firm Book Launchers and Amazon Overall #1 Best Selling Author, knows what it takes to successfully self-publish a book. Julie’s titles include More than Cashflow, which topped Amazon, The New Brand You, and her latest book, Self-Publish & Succeed. An expert on writing a book with marketing in mind, Julie teaches authors how to write a #noboringbook on her popular YouTube channel BookLaunchers.TV. Her advice for authors and investors has also been featured in Forbes, Entrepreneur.com, Yahoo! Business, CTV, the Toronto Sun, and Medium.com.