Mark interviews Chris Racknor about his Shawn Ronin mystery series, about science fiction and about his experiences in both traditional and indie publishing.
Prior to the interview, Mark shares a brief personal update and a word about this episode’s sponsor.
You can learn more about how you can get your work distributed to retailers and library systems around the world at starkreflections.ca/Findaway.
In their conversation Mark and Chris talk about:
- The report card snapshot from the first grade indicating Chris had an affinity for writing
- The serialized blog stories on Chris’s blog early on in the advent of digital reading
- The 2004 goal Chris set related to writing a novel, and how that came to pass in 2020
- Heading into the science discipline and wondering if it was for the science or for making the science-fiction more believable
- How Chris’s mother, concerned that he was reading too many comic books, handed him a copy of a Robert B. Parker novel
- How science-fiction is about asking questions, while mysteries are about searching for answers
- Chris’s experience of working with a publisher and coming to realize the sub-par work they had done on his novel
- The podcasts that Chris regularly listens to related to the business of self-publishing
- Preparing and launching the first three books in his mystery series via the indie route
- A bit of a background on the series and the main character
- Some of the personal situations from Chris’s own life that have factored into the novels
- Strategies for launching three books at once, such as immediately making the first book in that series free
- Advice that Chris would give to his younger self
- And more…
After the interview Mark reflects on Chris’s determination to not give up despite the challenges he faced with his first book, but instead, to take a different approach.
He also talks about the importance of asking and how you miss 100% of the shots you never take.
Links of Interest:
- Chris Racknor’s Website
- Findaway Voices
- Universal Book Links Now Include Print (Announcement)
- SelfPubCon 2021: The Writing Craft Conference (ALLI) – The Craft of Writing Short Books
- The 2021 NaNoWriMo Writing Tools Storybundle
- Patreon for Stark Reflections
- The Relaxed Author
- Publishing Pitfalls for Authors
- An Author’s Guide to Working with Libraries & Bookstores
- Wide for the Win
- Mark’s Canadian Werewolf Books
Chris Racknor has a Ph.D. in physics and lives in Southwestern Ontario, Canada. He has been an astronomy teacher, physicist, motorcycle owner, competitive strongman, varsity rugby player, and stay-at-home dad. He is a family man, Data Scientist, sci-fi nerd, professional kilt-wearing tree thrower, Transformers toy collector, and sumo wrestling aficionado with plenty more stories to tell.