Mark interviews author Brittany Fichter about writing happily ever after endings, clean romance, and taking the time to care for her readers.
Prior to the main content, Mark shares a personal update, thanks new patron James S. Aaron, and shares a word about this episode’s sponsor.
You can learn more about how you can get your work distributed to retailers and library systems around the world at starkreflections.ca/Findaway.
In their conversation, Mark and Brittany talk about:
- Writing clean, sweet, and wholesome romance
- Living and writing with OCD, Tourettes and free-floating anxiety
- The Writing Gals Podcast and their outline of the various levels of heat in romance fiction
- How the outline for Brittany’s last book was 50,000 words
- The way that clean romances can still deal with heavy concepts and deep emotions
- Writing fairy tales that are full fantasy, much like the darkness to light moment in The Lord of the Rings
- Brittany’s childhood love of fairy tales and her desire to what to know the characters beyond the tropes
- Stephen King’s writing prompt to write a story you’ll never share with anyone, and how Brittany used that to write a story inspired by Beauty and The Beast that she published in 2015
- Revising covers, and the fact her first book (Beyond Beauty) has gone through four covers already
- Getting writing done with young children
- Making YouTube music playlists for every book that she writes as a way of triggering her brain that it’s time to write
- The push that leads a lot of writers to writer burnout
- The Happy Planner brand
- Writing and publishing a chapter a week on her blog to keep her readers happy while they’re waiting for the next book
- Why Brittany has a “Fun and Games” section on her website and why she avoids political discussion in her reader groups and author page
- How her writing is all about light overcoming dark
- The way that 2020 had us on social media and on our phones a lot, instead of being with and understanding others
- Advice Brittany would give to new writers
- And more…
After the interview Mark reflects on the importance of attending to the needs of your readers.
Links of Interest:
- Brittany Fichter’s Website
- Writing Gals: What Makes Clean Romance Clean
- 20BooksVegas Website
- Findaway Voices
- The Canadian Mounted
- You Play with Your Balls a Lot (Lipsync)
- The 2021 NaNoWriMo Writing Tools Storybundle
- Patreon for Stark Reflections
- The Relaxed Author
- Publishing Pitfalls for Authors
- An Author’s Guide to Working with Libraries & Bookstores
- Wide for the Win
- Mark’s Canadian Werewolf Books
Brittany Fichter lives with her Prince Charming, little fairy, and little prince in a decently clean castle in whatever kingdom the United States Air Force has most recently placed them.