Mark interviews Jenny S. LaBranche about not letting anything stand in the way of pursuing her dream of becoming a writer.
Prior to the interview, Mark shares a personal update, reads comments, and shares a word about this episode’s sponsor.
You can learn more about how you can get your work distributed to retailers and library systems around the world at starkreflections.ca/Findaway.
During their chat, Mark and Jenny talk about:
- Wanting, her entire life, to be a writer
- Growing up in a Hollywood family, and first learning about screenplays
- Jenny’s work-related connection to the 9/11 tragedy in New York City (75% of their clients were in the World Trade Center buildings) and becoming a firefighter and EMT shortly after that
- Leaving her job in August 2021 and the great support her husband offered her
- Signing the Red Sneaker contract
- A little bit about the Red Sneakers book series from William Bernhardt and how they helped Jenny
- Being surrounded by so many of mother’s books when she was young
- Working with William Bernhardt as a writing coach and as an editor
- The Writing Retreat in the Ozark that Jenny was scheduled to attend this summer
- Jenny’s forthcoming novel Kingdoms of Shadow and Flame and the heart of her main character
- Scheduling her day to include writing, other tasks, and non-writing-related chores and responsibilities
- Going for walks with her characters
- Being a hard-core plotter
- Jenny’s plans for the new novel and the options she’s considering
- How Jenny learned about Draft2Digital
- The value and power of acknowledging that “I Am A Writer”
- Why it’s important to stop doubting yourself and to just do it
- And more…
After the interview, Mark reflects on two of the things Jenny spoke about, thanks Patrons, and also reads an excerpt from Fright Nights, Big City as an example of a “walk with your character” exercise.
Links of Interest:
- Jenny’s Facebook Page
- Red Sneaker Writers
- Red Sneaker Writing Retreats
- EP 252 – Broadening Your Writing Universe with Rona Gofstein
- Findaway Voices
- Buy Mark a Coffee
- Patreon for Stark Reflections
- Best Book Ever Podcast
- Lovers Moon Podcast
- The Relaxed Author
- Publishing Pitfalls for Authors
- An Author’s Guide to Working with Libraries & Bookstores
- Wide for the Win
- Mark’s Canadian Werewolf Books
- The Canadian Mounted: A Trivia Guide to Planes, Trains and Automobiles
Jenny S. LaBrache spent from ages 20–31 working in the IT field. On September 11, 2001, Jenny was working as a Corporate IT Manager, managing 10 of the world’s largest internet companies. 75% of her companies clients were in the world trade centers and they themselves occupied the 136 floor of The South Tower. After that devastation, Jenny left the IT field and began working as a Firefighter and Emergency Medic until the end of 2014. Throughout her life and career, Jenny always let her dyslexia stand in the way of pursuing her dream of becoming a writer, but no longer.
On August 26th, 2021, Jenny joined William Bernhardt’s Red Sneaker Writers Center on Facebook and began The Red Sneaker Writers Book Series. Her first high fantasy novel will be Kingdoms of Shadow and Flame. This is a thrilling, fast paced fantasy filled with adventure, dark forces, deceit, laughter, friendship and, a humorous discovery of the primal nature of one’s true self. Where new friends become tutors in the most interesting and hilarious ways.