Mark interviews October K. Santerelli about neurodivergence as it relates to the writing life.
Prior to the main segment, Mark shares a personal update, and shares a word about this episode’s sponsor.
You can learn more about how you can get your work distributed to retailers and library systems around the world at starkreflections.ca/Findaway.
During their conversation Mark and October talk about:
- October’s start with writing during a 7th Grade poetry unit project receiving an A+
- Dedicating his first book to that teacher who was so inspiring and supportive
- Getting a publishing deal offer at the age of sixteen
- Doing a lot of fantasy writing (that got finished) as well as Queer fiction (that never got finished)- Loving the act of “spite writing”
- The terms of Neurotypical, Neurodivergent, and their understanding within the writer’s life
- How ADHD and Autism spectrum can have really powerful effects on your writing career
- The way that many of the “rules” for writers don’t align with a brain that isn’t neurotypical
- Giving a general guideline on how something might feel – ie, the results rather than the strict processes
- October creating mini “celebrations” to accompany completely particular small victories
- Showing how he re-frames some of the standard bits of advice that work well for him
- The useful and valuable tool of doing writing sprints and how it creates a short and very immediate deadline
- And more…
After the interview Mark shares a few reflections and reminds authors that not all “how to” and recommended processes are a “fit all” option. Adaptation into one’s own manners and systems is important.
Links of Interest:
- October K. Santerelli Website
- October on TikTok
- October’s Course on Neurodiversity for Creatives
- Buy Mark a Coffee
- Patreon for Stark Reflections
- Best Book Ever Podcast
- Lovers Moon Podcast
- The Relaxed Author
- Publishing Pitfalls for Authors
- An Author’s Guide to Working with Libraries & Bookstores
- Wide for the Win
- Mark’s Canadian Werewolf Books
- The Canadian Mounted: A Trivia Guide to Planes, Trains and Automobiles
October K Santerelli is a fantasy author from the mountains of Denver, Colorado, USA. He is an LGBTQ+ writer and sensitivity reader, as well as a public speaker on disability, neurodivergency, and Own Voices writing in the publishing industry.