Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Subscribe: Apple Podcasts | RSS
Mark interviews Rebecca Eckler, journalist, bestselling author and the founder of RE: Books.
Prior to the main segment, Mark shares a personal update, reads listener comments, and announces the patron winner of the Dialogue Doctor Masterclass.
You can learn more about how you can get your work distributed to retailers and library systems around the world at starkreflections.ca/Findaway.
During their conversation Mark and Rebecca talk about about:
- The concept of retirement when it relates to writing
- Feeling “done” after publishing 10 books with the big publishing houses
- The concept of helping younger aspiring female authors
- Haters being a person’s best motivator
- While Rebecca believes that publishing needs a makeover
- Spending an afternoon outside a bookstore in order to better understand why people purchased the books they picked up that day
- The pathetically low average advances that are being offered by publishers and how Rebecca is using a different model
- The features that Rebecca includes on her blog/newsletter
- Rebecca’s focus on wanting to help prop up Canadian female authors
- Hosting the annual #writeaway summer contest
- How most traditional publishers do all the work preparing a book but only publicize a handful of their books
- And more…
After the interview Mark reflects on Rebecca’s focus on readers and propping up Canadian female authors, and the fixin’ that is needed in the publishing industry.
Links of Interest:
- Rebecca’s Website
- Rebecca – Facebook
- Rebecca – Twitter
- The Dialogue Doctor
- EP 266 – “Let’s Talk Dialogue With Jeff Elkins,” He Said Reflectively
- EP 262 – Rambling Hometown Reflections
- Buy Mark a Coffee
- Sell More Books Show – EP 439 (Mark as guest co-host)
- Patreon for Stark Reflections
- Best Book Ever Podcast
- Lovers Moon Podcast
- The Relaxed Author
- Publishing Pitfalls for Authors
- An Author’s Guide to Working with Libraries & Bookstores
- Wide for the Win
- Mark’s Canadian Werewolf Books
- The Canadian Mounted: A Trivia Guide to Planes, Trains and Automobiles
In addition to being one of Canada’s most well-known journalists, Rebecca Eckler is an international bestselling author. She’s penned 10 books, including the famous Knocked Up: Confessions of a Hip Mother-to-Be, Wiped! Life with a Pint-Sized Dictator, Toddlers Gone Wild, How to Raise a Boyfriend, Mommy Mob, and her most recent success, Blissfully Blended Bullsh*t.
Eckler lives in Toronto with her two kids: Rowan and Holt. When she’s not writing or working on re:books, you can find her sharing her brutally honest opinions on Facebook, Instagram or Twitter.
The introductory, end, and bumper music for this podcast (“Laser Groove”) was composed and produced by Kevin MacLeod of www.incompetech.com and is Licensed under Creative Commons: By Attribution 3.0
1 thought on “Episode 267 – Why Publishing Needs a Makeover with Rebecca Eckler”