Mark interviews Danielle Kaplan about her new book I Married a Thrill-Seeker.
Prior to the main segment, Mark shares a personal update and a word about this episode’s sponsor.
You can learn more about how you can get your audiobooks distributed to retailers and library systems around the world at starkreflections.ca/Findaway.
During their conversation, Mark and Danielle talk about:
- Danielle’s background before she decided to write her new book
- The irony of doing a thesis in brain-injury, with most of them involving motorcycle accidents
- How Danielle, who was considered a moderate who “followed the rules” first met her “wild and crazy” husband Steve back in university
- Moving to Toronto, Canada to start her life with him and continuing her career in the medical field
- Having written for medical publications prior to this first book
- Steve’s life as an adventure rider on his Harley Davidson motorcycle when on a trip in the Yukon
- Keeping all her correspondence and personal journals during the tragic events following her husband’s accident
- Showing the original manuscript to a good friend who is a script/screen-play writer who asked her if this was going to be a personal document for her family, or for public consumption and how that question changed everything
- The dramatic lows and highs that Steve went through since the accident
- The various audiences that the book is likely to appeal to
- Where Danielle found support through this entire journey
- Working with Rebecca at re:books on the release of the book in Nov 2022
- And more…
After the interview Mark reflects on how Danielle was able to use all the details she recorded and stored, not because she was going to write a book about it, but for other reasons.
Links of Interest:
- Danielle’s Book on Amazon
- EP 267 – Why Publishing Needs a Makeover with Rebecca Eckler
- Findaway Voices
- Buy Mark a Coffee
- Patreon for Stark Reflections
- Best Book Ever Podcast
- Lovers Moon Podcast
- The Relaxed Author
- Publishing Pitfalls for Authors
- An Author’s Guide to Working with Libraries & Bookstores
- Wide for the Win
- Mark’s Canadian Werewolf Books
- The Canadian Mounted: A Trivia Guide to Planes, Trains and Automobiles
Danielle Kaplanis a speech-language pathologist and movement specialist. She grew up in Johannesburg, South Africa and holds a master’s degree in Speech Pathology.
She and her husband Steve emigrated to Canada, where she spent twenty years working in acute teaching hospitals, in Neurology, Neurosurgery, and spinal injury.
Danielle gained a certification in Pilates and then went on to train further in movement while achieving her Personal Training certification (CanfitPro), Ballet Barre for fitness training and then received her Rehab Exercise Specialization Certification.
The mother of two, she lives with her husband Steve and their two fur babies in Toronto, Ontario. I Married A Thrill-Seeker is her first book.