Thanks for the Inspiration is a type of show that appears from time to time in the regular schedule for this podcast.
As writers, we often absorb elements from the world, the places, and the people around us. We observe, we ask questions, we speculative, we listen, we watch, we feel, and we write so much of that down which gets re-integrated, like some sort of sausage creation, into the stories and words and worlds we share with our readers.
Thanks for the Inspiration episodes are an attempt to acknowledge and say thanks to the people, places, and things that have helped to either feed the muse, or perhaps just to feed the very soul and makeup of the writer behind that writing.
In this bonus episode of the podcast, Mark thanks the creative spirits who have produced musical parodies about Covid-19 and the current global situation. Because laughter is important.
Yes, these are dark times, but laughter is important.
It connects people. And laughter has been shown to actually stimulate positive activity in a person’s immune system.
I know we’re all scared, we’re uncertain, we aren’t sure what’s coming, for us, and for those we know and love. Things seem to be spinning out of control. But we can always control where we focus and how we respond.
I choose love, compassion, and humor.
And I choose to thank all of these amazing creative people who took the time to spread their own passion, through humor, to help others find smiles and laughs in these trying times.
Mark introduces the following musical parodies in this order:
- Covid-19 – The Taylor’s – Parody of “Come On, Eileen” by Dexys Midnight Runners.
- JJ Mason Taylor (The Taylor Family)
- YouTube Video
- My Corona – Parody of “My Sharona by The Knack
- Quarantine – Parody of “Let It Be” by The Beatles
- Joe Cron
- YouTube Video
- Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious (with new lyrics!) Parody of “Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious” by Julie Andrews and Dick Van Dyke from the movie Mary Poppins
- One Week of COVID 19 – Parody of “One Week” by Barenaked Ladies
- Pepper Coyote (@peppercoyote)
- My Corona Home – Parody of “Kokomo” by The Beach Boys from the movie Cocktail
- Coronavirus Rhapsody – Parody of “Bohemian Rhapsody by Queen
Mark then closes out the show with a thanks to all of the first responders and medical and health professionals on the front lines as well as essential services personnel who continue to risk their own safety and welfare for the good of society.
And he again thanks the creative folks who wrote, performed, and shared these songs (and so many others not included here) to help inspire smiles and laughter in others during these trying times.
This episode was sponsored by the wonderful patrons of the Stark Reflections on Writing and Publishing Podcast who support this show and gain access to additional content over at www.patreon.com/starkreflections.
Links of Interest:
- Parody of “Stuck in the Middle with You” by Mark and Liz “Stuck in This House Here With You” (Video Link)
- Parody of old K-Tel television commercials for compilation albums
- Playlist of Covid-19 Parody Videos