Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Subscribe: Apple Podcasts | RSS
Mark interviews Chelle Honiker and Chrishaun Keller Hanna of Indie Author Magazine.
Prior to the interview, Mark shares a brief personal update and a word from this episode’s sponsor.
This episode is sponsored by Findaway Voices.
You can learn more about how you can get your work distributed to retailers and library systems around the world at starkreflections.ca/Findaway.
In their conversion Chelle, Chrishaun, and Mark talk about:
- Their backgrounds as writers, creatives, geeks, and entrepreneurs
- Chrishan’s “Organzied chaos with style” line and how she has honed and refined her “pitch” over time at cons
- How writing feels like one dimension of a way that you can tell a story
- Learning about not being cut out for working FOR other people
- An aborted attempt at becoming a digital nomad (due to the global covid lockdowns)
- How an accountability partner/mastermind group led to the origin of Indie Author Magazine
- The desire to create an unbiased source of trusted information for indie authors
- The magazine being produced as a monthly digital and a print quarterly
- How the skill-set for the magazine was based on internal skills, talents, and experience from the team
- The range of topics and features planned to be covered and updated in each issue
- The “Indie Annie” column in order to answer questions submitted by readers
- How authors can get ahold of the magazine online or via the app
- The way they manage to fit managing this magazine while maintaining their writing commitments
- And more…
After the interview Mark reflects on the power of priorities, partnership, and collaboration.
Links of Interest:
- Indie Author Magazine
- The Relaxed Author
- Patreon for Stark Reflections
- Wide for the Win
- Mark’s Canadian Werewolf Books
The mission of Indie Author Magazine is to inform, educate, and inspire authors at every stage of their careers.
Our vision is to be the trusted industry leader for reliable resources and information for indie authors by providing unbiased, well-researched, and articulate content in a timely manner, in the most engaging format possible.
s the publisher of Indie Author Magazine, Chelle Honiker brings nearly three decades of startup, technology, training, and executive leadership experience to the role. She’s a serial entrepreneur, founding and selling multiple successful companies including a training development company, travel agency, website design and hosting firm, a digital marketing consultancy, and a wedding planning firm. She’s organized and curated multiple TEDx events. As a writer, speaker, and trainer she believes in the power of words and their ability to heal, inspire, incite, and motivate. Her greatest inspiration is her daughters, Kelsea and Cathryn, who tolerate her tendency to run away from home to play with her friends around the world for months at a time. It’s said she could run a small country with just the contents of her backpack.
Chrishaun Keller-Hanna is an award-winning journalist, teacher, technical writer, and fiction author that lives for explaining difficult concepts in a way that non-technical readers can understand. She spent twenty years teaching literacy and composition to a variety of students from kindergarten to college level and writing technical documentation for several tech companies in the Austin area. At the age of forty-three, she decided to write fiction and has published over thirty titles so far with plans to extend out to comics and board games. When she’s not writing, she’s traveling, playing video games, or watching movies. When she’s not doing THAT, she’s talking about them with her husband and grown daughters.
The introductory, end, and bumper music for this podcast (“Laser Groove”) was composed and produced by Kevin MacLeod of www.incompetech.com and is Licensed under Creative Commons: By Attribution 3.0
1 thought on “Episode 199 – Chelle Honiker & Chrishaun Keller-Hanna of Indie Author Magazine”