Mark has a chat with Elizabeth Ann West and Randall Wood.
Elizabeth Ann West is not only the public face of ScribeCount but is also an author whose books have hit the bestseller lists on all major vendors, including Amazon, Barnes and Noble, Apple Books, Google Play, and Kobo.
Randall Wood is the author of the bestselling Jack Randall thrillers and co-founder of ScribeCount a platform with the desire to be the preeminent author service platform, offering services every author needs.
Prior to the main segment, Mark shares recent comments, a personal update, and a few words about this episode’s sponsor.
You can learn more about how you can get your work distributed to retailers and library systems around the world at starkreflections.ca/Findaway.
During their conversation Mark, Elizabeth and Randall talk about:
- Elizabeth’s new role at Scribecount
- Why Elizabeth goes to conferences with two notebooks
- The origin of ScribeCount in the back of a room and on cocktail napkins at NINC (Novelist’s Inc) in Florida
- Randall and Elizabeth’s background as writers
- The decision Randall made related to signing a deal with Tor versus indie publishing
- Elizabeth’s earliest entrepreneur activities which involved killing her mother’s rubber tree plant at the age of eight
- The thrill of landing on writing “Jane Austin fan fiction” style historical romance
- Why Elizabeth sells her eBooks at $9.99
- An overview of what ScribeCount is and how it helps authors understand their sales data from numerous sources
- The complications that come with understanding advertising and marketing expenditures related to sales campaign
- The difference of earnings in a month (live reporting) versus payments in a month (usually delayed 30 to 90 days)
- “Get off the spreadsheet, get on the Sunburst!”
- How ScribeCount is free to use until an author earns more than $999/month
- Launching Ingram Spark into the platform (which did happen roughly half way through August 2022)
- The learning library that Elizabeth is working on to help mid-list authors learn how to leverage the data and the tools ScribeCount has
- Some of the conferences that Elizabeth and Randall will be at over the next little while
- And more…
After the interview Mark reflects on the author-centric nature of ScribeCount and why that is so important. He also shares his thoughts on Elizabeth’s $9.99 price point for her novels.
Links of Interest:
- ScribeCount (Mark’s affiliate link)
- Elizabeth Ann West
- Randal Wood
- EP 175 – Philippa A. Werner with ScribeCount
- EP 263 – Terry Brooks & Susanna Kearsley – WWC Keynotes Part 1
- Buy Mark a Coffee
- Patreon for Stark Reflections
- Best Book Ever Podcast
- Lovers Moon Podcast
- The Relaxed Author
- Publishing Pitfalls for Authors
- An Author’s Guide to Working with Libraries & Bookstores
- Wide for the Win
- Mark’s Canadian Werewolf Books
- The Canadian Mounted: A Trivia Guide to Planes, Trains and Automobiles
Elizabeth Ann West is a walking smile, eager to hear about your needs as an author through email, on Zoom, or at a writer’s conference! She is the public face of ScribeCount, overseeing the customer interaction, content, and overall service side of the company. Her main goal is to make sure our subscribers are getting the most out of our software.
Holding a Bachelor of Arts in Leadership Studies with a minor in English Literature, she brings over 15 years of experience in digital publishing to our team. She started in 2007 writing SEO content, and then shifted into novel writing in 2011. Never content to do just one thing, she has also worked as an ebook marketer and most recently, in the fields of author education, all while building her own publishing empire of over 20 books. Her books have hit the bestseller lists on all major vendors, including Amazon, Barnes and Noble, Apple Books, Google Play, and Kobo.
If she isn’t playing Magic the Gathering, or involved in a D&D campaign against an Ice Troll, you can find her watching a historical documentary or the latest Jane Austen adaptation. Her favorite book boyfriend is most assuredly, Mr. Darcy!
Randall Wood co-founded ScribeCount in 2018 with the intent that it become the preeminent author service platform on the internet. His goal is to make ScribeCount a place that services every author need.
A writer since his high school days, he was an early adopter of the Kindle and KDP and has been self-publishing since its inception in 2009. With a career started in the military and followed by a lifetime spent in the field of Emergency Medicine, he has ample experiences to draw from.
Randall holds a degree in Emergency Medical Services, working both on the ground and in the air until his writing provided him with the freedom to retire early. He now focuses on ScribeCount and other business ventures when not working on the next book.
When not dreaming up new features he can usually be found at the beach with his wife and giant dog Henry, taxiing his two teenagers everywhere, or building something. He’s known to produce copious amounts of sawdust.