In this episode Mark shares a live chat with Roland Denzel, AKA the Indestructable Author, from April 2, 2020 about Strategies for a Healthy Home Workspace. Roland shares what people can do to maintain health and exercise with limited space and no equipment; fundamentals of creating an ergonomic workspace in your home, and much more.
Prior to the interview, Mark shares a reflection on how he feels Covid-19 is going to become a major tipping point for the way that people consume books and move from print-book puritans to eReading adoptions. He also shares the fact that it’s likely the major publishers are going to be forced to finally properly dip their toes into the eBook pool.
Mark then shares comments from recent episodes and a word from this episode’s sponsor.
You can learn more about how you can get your work distributed to retailers and library systems around the world at starkreflections.ca/Findaway.
In their conversation, Mark and Roland talk about:
- Roland’s background as a writer and health coach and advocate focusing on the nutrition and habit side of things
- His plans for writing a series and stacking them for a consistent release schedule
- Taking a “Supercharge your Protagonist” course with H Claire Taylor to help improve his fiction
- The side-effects of living behind a keyboard for thirty years that include carpal tunnel syndrome and ulnar neuropathy
- How moving around for as little as 5 minutes every thirty minutes or so can reduce your blood sugar by up to 20% and improve insulin sensitivie by as much as 20%
- How coffee isn’t the big problem that many people say it is, and can be useful because if you drink it, you’re likely getting up to go to the washroom more often, and thus moving more
- The Pomodoro technique which follows 25 / 5 – 25 minutes of work, followed by 5 minutes of a break, or rest
- How just a little bit of planning can help you maintain better health and productivity
- Roland’s perspective on ergonomics
- The importance of what Roland calls “the dynamic office”
- Things people can do to get exercise without equipment, in limited space, or without being able to go to the gym
- How much people underestimate the value of walking
- How important it is to make changes from a sedentary lifestyle in small steps or stages
- In general how the healthier you are, the easier it is to focus
- Strategies for dealing with anxiety in a limited or shared work space
- And more…
After the interview, Mark shares a few personal updates, including his recent appearance on The Creative Penn and The Indy Author Podcasts, the weekday Draft2Digital Spotlights he has been participating in, and a forthcoming online course he will be teaching in a series from Jane Friedman.
Links of Interest:
- Roland Denzel’s Indestructable Author Website
- Episode 127 – Blaze Ward
- Findaway Voices
- Patreon for Stark Reflections
- Online Course (via Jane Friedman) – Creating Income and Connecting with Readers Using Short Fiction
- The Creative Penn Podcast – Mark’s Appearances
- The Indy Author Podcast – Mark’s Appearances
Roland Denzel is a coach, a nutritionist, and a restorative exercise specialist who also happens to be a writer. He has fought off carpal tunnel syndrome, ulnar neuropathy, and plantar fasciitis, all while “keeping his butt in the chair” long enough to work a full-time job and release more than ten books.
He coaches authors and other awesome humans about ergonomics, healthy lifestyle, balance, and overcoming physical and mental limitations to be healthier, happier, and more productive.